I was wondering if you could give me some background on how Bullet is calculating the USC on our payroll. We have an employee being paid €2083.33 gross / month. By my calculations his USC should be €55.67 but your payslip shows €60.68. These figures are for January 2016. I input the numbers into a couple of online calculators and they came up with the €55 number, not the Bullet one. Can I get a breakdown of how this is being calculated?

I was wondering if you could give me some background on how Bullet is calculating the USC on our payroll.
We have an employee being paid €2083.33 gross / month. By my calculations his USC should be €55.67 but your payslip shows €60.68. These figures are for January 2016.
I input the numbers into a couple of online calculators and they came up with the €55 number, not the Bullet one.
Can I get a breakdown of how this is being calculated?

1 answer

Peter Connor Staff June 19, 2016
Public

Thanks M. I’ll get the team to have a look at this for you. Pete

#answer-3511
  1. megcalm June 19, 2016
    Thanks, Pete.
  2. Peter Connor June 19, 2016
    Hi Meg,
    The USC calculation is dependent on the USC rates and cut-off points that the revenue commissioners have assigned to your employee. While these values are generally standard for most people, they can be different for some employees. Edit the employee, click on the lock to view/edit the 2016 tax details for the employee. If you click on the 'Advanced' tab, you'll see every tax setting for the employee for the 2016. Check that the USC tax rates are correct. Did you import the employee tax details using a P2C file, or did you enter the details manually?
    John.
  3. megcalm June 19, 2016
    Hi John,
    Thanks. Understood.
    I've checked the values against those in the P2C file and they're the same. I actually entered them manually, but they look right to me.
    The only thing that's unusual in the Employee details section is that he had a previous employment in 2015. Other than that it looks pretty standard.
    Thanks,
    Meg
  4. megcalm June 19, 2016
    An example of what I'm trying to calculate is Paul Mcinerny's January 2016 USC. His payslip says 236 and I think it should be 185. I'm assuming I'm wrong and not calculating things correctly or making some incorrect assumption but until I can get the numbers to add up it's going to drive me crazy. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  5. Peter Connor June 19, 2016
    The USC rates don't look correct for Paul - they are set to 1.5%, 3.5%, 7% and 8%. But the standard rates for 2016 are 1%, 3%, 5.5% and 8%. Are you sure that Paul's P2C file says the 1.5/3.5/7/8 rates that have been entered for him?
  6. megcalm June 19, 2016
    You are correct. That is the issue. When I said the numbers looked right, I was looking at the cutoffs, not the rates.
    Thank you!
  7. megcalm June 19, 2016
    Can I just upload the P2C file now and it will replace those manually entered (incorrect) values, or do I need to fix them manually?
  8. Peter Connor June 19, 2016
    If you upload the P2C file it should overwrite the values that you had previously.
  9. megcalm June 19, 2016
    great, thanks, will do that now. Thank you for your patience. It's not possible to describe how crazy that was making me. That I could get the numbers to balance. Thanks :D
  10. Peter Connor June 19, 2016
    No problem Meg. We're always happy to help!

Please login or Register to Submit Answer